How to tell your parents you're pregnant:
1. Stay calm
2. Write a letter if you need to
3. Make a plan beforehand
4. If you plan to continue the pregnancy, be specific about the future. Explain how youâll finish school, provide for the baby, etc.
5. Bring a supportive friend or relative along
6. Tell them first--don't let them hear it somewhere else
7. If they freak out, leave for a bit and come back later. Hopefully they will have calmed down a little
Telling your parents you are pregnant is one of the hardest things you will do. You may feel scared, ashamed, embarrassed, nervous, anxious, or depressed. You may feel like you have let them down or that they will never forgive you. Please remember that no matter what their initial reaction is, this reaction will most likely change over time, if you maintain a level of maturity and stay calm. Just make sure that you make a choice about the pregnancy BEFORE you tell them and donât let their pressure of that of other family members change what YOU want to do, even if they lay some heavy guilt or shame onto you. This is your body and your choice and ultimately, YOU will be the one to deal with it, not them. Just stay calm, stay focused, and prepare yourself for whatever lies ahead.
-From the Empower zine
If you have advice, tips, suggestions, add them here!